Of all the online shopping complaints we receive, the most disappointing ones are against Timtara. Most of the complaints relate to the sequence of non-delivery of product, subsequent cancellation and delay in refund. The time consumed in the whole process is more than a month and in some case it touches two months. We give below some e.g of such cases:
1. Mr. P.Sharma of New Delhi ordered for Philips Steam Iron worth Rs.1299/- on 26-12-2011 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 45 days
2. Mr. A Shah of Ahmedabad ordered for IFB washing machine worth Rs.13,299/- on 19-12-2011 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 32 days
3. Mr. Dinkar Lahoti of Chittorgarh, Rajasthan ordered for a Morphy Richards induction stove on 612-2011 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 43 days
4. Mr. Tanveer Chaudhary, Faridabad, Haryana ordered for a Motorola XT mobile worth Rs.10490/- on 09-05-2011 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 36 days
5. Mr. Rajendran, Bangalore, Karnataka ordered for an MP3 player worth Rs.5,581 on 20-01-2012 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 43 days
6. Ms. Divya, Suryapet, AP ordered for 2 mobiles worth Rs.17,000 on 01-07-2012 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 67 days
7. Mr. Abhik Hore, Howrah, West Bengal ordered for an MP3 player worth Rs.749/- on 10-07-2012 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 60 days
8. Mr. Mihir Gautam, Nagpur placed an order worth Rs8,190/- on 25-07-2012 but did not get the product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 40 days
9. Mr. Goutham Subbaiah of Bangalore placed an order for Micromax tablet worth Rs.5,999 on 05-07-2012 but cancelled in on 11-07-2012 due to delay in delivery. He did not get his refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 49 days.
10. Mr. Sanjay Rajbhar of Thane, Maharashtra placed an order worth Rs.1937 on 10th March 2012 but did not get his product/refund. Time consumed until date of complaint – 165 days.
The above are only a few complaints out of more than 100 similar complaints received by us. These complaints tell about the way business is conducted. Money taken, product not delivered, order cancelled and refund is delayed by more than 40 days. Every time an order is placed, Timtara is entrusted with money for the next few weeks against a pending order. The order eventually gets cancelled by the customer due to delay in execution and there is further delay in refund. The customer has to be after the portal for refund who keeps on giving false promises. They are taking customers for granted, playing with their money. A rough calculation from the above complaints reveal that an average sum of Rs.6,800 per customer is held by the portal for about 58 days. The poor customer gets back his money only after more than a month, without interest. One can imagine the magnitude of the money involved as customers multiply, so do the money handled by the portal. Definitely, a better way to generate income at the cost of others.
We would also warn consumers about Bagittoday.com. They come up with so many alluring offers that you end up paying more and getting little. Most often gullible consumers fall victim to their verbal offers over phone.
So what is the remedy? Simply do not avail their services. We are surprised to find people placing orders for domestic appliances like fridge, washing machines when these can be easily bought from a nearby dealer. It is advisable to buy only books or items of less value through online shopping sites. Use your discretion before going for any offers.
If you have a complaint on refund or the product quality which the seller does not address, you may initiate a case in the District Consumer Forum after serving notice to the portal.
We have come across the following cases in the District Forums of Mysore and Ernakulam where the complaint was settled out of court or Timtara was ordered to refund with interest:
Case No.CC/12/377 dt. of judgement 14-08-2012
Case No.CC/2012/175 dt. of judgement 30-08-2012
Case No.EA/2012/77 dt. of judgement 21-08-2012
Case No.CC/2012/156 dt. of judgement 22-05-2012
Please read our write up on online shopping complaints for more details about pursuing complaints in the Consumer Forums. 18665.