(1) Every complaint filed under sub-section (1) of section 12, sub-section (1) of section 17 and clause (a) in sub-clause (i) of section 21 of the Act shall be accompanied by a fee as specified in the table given below in the form of crossed Demand Draft drawn on a nationalised bank or through a crossed Indian Postal Order drawn in favour of the The President of the District Forum, Registrar of the State Commission and payable at the respective place where the State Commission or the National Commission is situated.
(2) The concerned authority referred to in sub-rule (1) shall credit the amount of fee received by it into the Consumer Welfare Fund of the respective State and where such fund is not established into the Receipt Account of the State Government and in the case of the National Commission, to the Consumer Welfare Fund of the Central Government.
(3) The complainants who are under the Below Poverty Line shall be entitled for the exemption of payment of fee only on production of an attested copy of the Antyodaya Anna Yojana cards.
Total Value of goods or services and the compensation claimed /
Amount of fee payable @ District Forum
(1) Upto one lakh rupees – For complainants who are under the Below Poverty Line holding Antyodaya Anna Yojana Cards – Nil
(2) Upto one lakh rupees – For complainants other than Antyodaya Anna Yojana card holders – Rs.100
(3) Above one lakh and upto five lakh rupees – Rs.200
(4) Above five lakh and upto ten lakh rupees – Rs.400
(5) Above ten lakh and upto twenty lakh rupees – Rs.500
[source: Consumer Protection Rules, 1987 – as amended]